Let’s bust some myths today.
- You can’t lose weight without exercise. Wrong! Busted. 90+% of weight loss is diet. Tons of people lose weight without any extra exercise calories burned.
- You have to eat super healthy to lose weight. Wrong! Busted. I and tons of others have proven you can eat like crap and lose weight. Is it healthy? Not likely, but most can lose weight eating anything in portion control whether healthy or junk food.
- Carbs are evil! Wrong! Busted. Carbs are a natural part of a balanced diet. Yes, every person is different and some feel better eating more or less carbs, but carbs are not the enemy unless you put yourself on a carb restrictive diet, but overall carbs do not prevent weight loss.
- Calories don’t matter if you eat x. Wrong! Busted. Whether they are talking about low carb, cabbage soup, raw food, sea food or whatever new trend they push calories still matter. Yes, it’s proven some diets make losing weight easier or faster, but most all fad diets rely on you still being in a calorie deficit. Protein is filling. It’s fairly hard to eat 2000 plus calories on high protein. Veg and most basic soups are low calorie. You have to have tons to rack up high calories. In the end, it’s going to mostly still just be calories burned vs calories consumed.
- Calories from x don’t count. Wrong! Busted. I have literally been told liquid calories don’t turn into fat. I’ve read posts where people claimed calories consumed in certain time frames don’t matter. Calories are calories are calories. No matter their form, if you consume them your body will either burn or store them as fat.
- Surgery is someone over 300lbs only hope of losing and keeping weight off. Wrong! Busted. I’m not putting down anyone who chose surgery, but no, it wasn’t your only choice. In almost every case I read surgery was a choice made after failed attempts at weight loss or maintenance because of will power and portion control issues. When you have weight loss surgery such as a sleeve or stomach stapling you just feel full faster so are unable to eat as much and your food choices are more limited. The procedure put you under portion control and helped you make better choices. You could have done both without needing to be cut open. Tons of people over 300lbs successfully lose weight with just lifestyle changes and have just as much chance of keeping it off as people who start with less to lose.
- You shouldn’t exercise until you reach x weight. Wrong! Busted. If you choose to exercise your weight doesn’t matter. Sure, you may have more limited options. You may be slower or need adjustment, but my 600lb uncle was walking to lose weight so if you let your weight stop you it’s an excuse.
That’s it for today. Hope these busted myths helped someone.
Keep it going,